A seamless and superb customer experience is what makes your business stand out from your competition, because let's be honest, you are not the only one doing what you are doing!
As Marketers, especially on the executive and operational level, sometimes we start any project by rolling up our sleeves and diving right into actions without having a compass. Midway, we find ourselves overwhelmed by opportunities to create content, deliver and promote without asking ourselves "Are we just working hard, or are we working smart?"
Clearly mapping out your customers' journey is an irreplaceable step that every marketing professional should do. Don't know where to start? Follow these steps:
- Work with the Business
- Marketing is not (just about) creative writing. Marketing is about helping the Business achieve their goals and objectives, with various technological means and good communication skills. If you don't want to feel unappreciated or disoriented, remember to work with the business side of your team! Combine your knowledge, work smarter.
- Use the right channels, but all channels
- We have all been there - thinking that we MUST master all social media and other channels. But try to focus your energy and brainpower in one or two channels that really work for your business. If you're selling aesthetically pleasing ornaments, one post on Instagram and one good conversation on Pinterest will create a much bigger impact than many hours spent on LinkedIn. Use the right channels, really study them well, be an expert in that.
- Get the Data
- "I think that...." "Because I don't use Twitter..." "Since I believe..." Sorry to break it to you, but nobody cares what "I" would do. We care about what our customers, our audience and our website visitors choose to do. Be open-minded, get the data to understand the reality of how your target groups interact with your products and your brand. Spot the patterns.
- Join the dots to provide insights
- Once you have spotted the behavioural patterns, now it's time to put your Sherlock hat on! The fun lies within the process of figuring out the truth behind all these!
- Measure your effort
- Now that you have done all the preparation, you have to show your results! Always measure the effectiveness and adjust your plan. You could be wrong the first time, the second time or even the third time. Set a target, review the results and refine the process.
Personally, I think the most valuable advice to help bring success in creating a one-of-a-kind customer experience is to never forget to communicate, communicate and communicate!
Having both of Hong Kong and Singapore Offices being nominated for the Best Candidate Experience and Best Career Website in the upcoming Asia Recruitment Awards, I think what truly makes Aspire stand out is that we spend time to listen to what our customers and what our colleagues have to say.
As cliche as it sounds, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, Go Together!"
To improve customer experience to any great extent, though, the customer journey must be well understood by the organization as a whole. And, as anyone who has tried will know, understanding the customer journey is not a simple task.